[WEB4LIB] Best of the Web

sean dreilinger sean at durak.org
Wed Dec 23 14:01:07 EST 1998

"Andrew I. Mutch" wrote:
> library web site.  I'm interested in hearing about examples of library web
> sites that you all think demonstate excellence in design, usability, etc.

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/

is well done, i like the frank lloyd wright font and the icons, which i
understand were developed from actual bits of the library
architecture--novel way to connect the physical location to the virtual
services without getting too literal. clip art icons pale by comparison.

http://www.lib.upenn.edu/etext/

i think this is about as bauhaus as it gets, correct me if my art-style
is off - super clean, plenty of whitespace, easy to read on-screen.
mostly-text-design makes it a very speedy site. has nothing in common
(design wise) with the other upenn library pages.

http://www.ipl.org/

this site is a nice idea, especially for those who get the 'library
without walls' concept: a library is not a building, it is a service.

http://www.spl.lib.wa.us/

seattle has a library site worthy of their city site (one of the best
major city web sites). its not a major production, it just pulls
everything together very well.

don't know many library web sites, and sadly, have not noticed any LIS
sites on cool site of the day (http://cool.infi.net/). maybe we need a
Cool Library Web Site of the Week award :-)

post your urls when you have time, i'd love to see some other library
web sites!
--
                          sean dreilinger, mlis
                          mailto:sean at durak.org