[WEB4LIB] Re: Thanx and Linux

Vladislav S. Davidzon vladislav at davidzon.com
Mon Dec 21 15:52:58 EST 1998

I would have to disagree.  No doubt, Linux is absolutely wonderful out of
the box as far as remote administration.  Give it an IP, stick it at a
client's site, and its ready to go for you to setup remotely.  However, I
was really impressed with how nicely Remotely Possible 32 worked.  The
remote capabilities of Windows NT with add-on software are great.

I've played with various telnet applications for NT.  Absolutely useless
pieces of trash.  Considering the fact that 99% of all configuration is done
via the registry, you can't do much.

Linux is much more straight forward than NT.  However, an experienced NT
systems admin knows how and where to gather all the information he/she needs
to do their job.

You also can't just look at the out of the box price.  NT may be much more
expensive than Linux [by hundreds of dollars] but long term it may save you
money depending on what kind of training and experience your staff have.

-vsd