[WEB4LIB:14679] Re: CJK readers for Web browsers

Bin Zhang bzhang at hawaii.edu
Mon Aug 3 16:34:01 EDT 1998

If you are using IE, you can now input CJK characters.  You need to download
the "Global IME" from Microsoft web site.  This IME also works with Outlook
Express and Outlook 98.  It does not work with Netscape.

There is one problem with this approach (ie, installing fonts without
installing a CJK environment software, such as UnionWay, NJWin, or
whatever):  If the page was created Microsoft Frontpage, they may not
display right on browser.

For example, Microsoft uses <meta http-equiv="Content-type" content=
"text/html; charset="gb_2312-80"> for Simplified Chinese (GB encoding).

If you try to view a page with this tag in Netscape, you won't be able to
see Chinese, because Netscape uses "gb2312" for GB encoding.

So, the best thing for page authors to do is not to specify a character set,
and have the users to manually switch to the language encoding.  Frontpage
97 does not allow you to delete the characterset tag, Frontpage 98 does.

--
Bin Zhang <bzhang at hawaii.edu>
Automation/Reference Librarian