Converting text to HTML

Walter W. Giesbrecht walterg at yorku.ca
Fri Aug 7 12:41:02 EDT 1998

Our library has been adding URLs to the catalogue records of
electronic journals for some time now. The staff in Bibliographic
Services need a relatively simple way to check the links in these
records on a periodic basis. The catalogue software (Sirsi's
UNICORN) allows them to generate a report (in ASCII) of the
catalogue records that include URLs (a single record in this
report looks something like this):

	via web browser by entering the following URL:
	http://www.idealibrary.com/cgi-bin/links/toc/ab
	ISSN: 0  : |a0003-2697
	Subject:  0 : |aBiochemistry|xPeriodicals.|?UNAUTHORIZED
	Electronic access: 7  :
	|uhttp://www.idealibrary.com/cgi-bin/links/toc/ab|2
	http|zhttp://www.idealibrary.com/cgi-bin/links/toc/ab
	  YORK--
        Location: YORKSTEACIE --
      	Textual holdings: v.10, 1965 -

What we need to know is: how can we convert this ASCII file into
HTML and make all the embedded URLs active links? Once we get
this, we can use link-checking software to test them all. Word 97
will make a URL into a link by putting a hard return after the
URL, but doing this is impractical when the most recent report
was just over 800K in size! Any ideas?

Walter W. Giesbrecht                             walterg at yorku.ca
York University Libraries                (416)736-2100 ext. 77551
Toronto, Ontario, CANADA                                  113 SSB