Is HTML Code Copyrighted?

Margaret L. Christiansen margchr at regent.edu
Tue Apr 28 07:43:59 EDT 1998

Eric,

There was an extensive discussion on this recently on the netlawyers
listserv.  It is my understanding that the code itself [i.e., <div
align=right> </div>] cannot be copyrighted because it is code, something
that is required to perform a specific desired function.  Code is
apparently a specific copyright exception.  However, a page layout or
design, which is the creative work of an author in putting pieces of code
together in a specific order IS copyrighted.

My interpretation of this [and this is NOT legal advice] is that it is
permissible to view source code on the work of another to learn how the
code works so that you can apply it yourself.  In the same vein, it is not
permissible to copy a portion of anyone else's page for use in your own.
 The exceptions to this would be the standard copyright exceptions:
permission or fair use.

Yours,
Margaret L. Christiansen, Esq.	Regent University Law Library
Assistant Director	 	1000 Regent University Drive
margchr at regent.edu		Virginia Beach, VA 23464
http://www.regent.edu/lawlib	(757)579-4463; Fax - 579-4451