Security & Z39.50 protocol use through a Firewall.

Kirk_Nims at michcon.com Kirk_Nims at michcon.com
Thu Apr 23 15:36:21 EDT 1998

</LURK>

Well, hello Web4Lib!  Hoping you can help me once again.

We have just put in NOTEbookS (ILS) here at MichCon.  Part of that system
is a WebRetriever module that utilizes BookWhere? 2000 to access Z39.50
gateways to retrieve MARC cataloging records.

Here is the hitch.

I am inside a firewall and proxy gateway that does not have outbound
traffic enabled on ports 210 or 2210.  Hence, I am dead in the water.  Our
network and audit staffs are concerned, properly so (it is their job),
about security issues around the use of the Z39.50 protocol and additional
port enables on the firewall and proxy gateway.

Does anyone out there know where I can easily find information that will
calm the security fears of my network and audit staffs so that I can
successfully persuade them to open the ports for outbound traffic and get
my cataloging?

I have already been in touch with the LC Z39.50 folks and will be posting a
similar message to the Z39.50IW listserve.

Thanks in advance; replies direct to me appreciated; will summarize for
list if there is interest and viable solutions proposed.

Kirk Nims
Librarian
Competitive Information Center
Michigan Consolidated Gas Co.