Public Internet access and floppy drives

Julie Castelluzzo juliec at cooper.edu
Fri Apr 17 14:15:15 EDT 1998

I work at a medium-sized college library. Last fall we greatly expanded
our Internet access for patrons (to 20 computers).

We do allow downloading to the floppy drive. I think this is especially
important since we charge for printing. People have the alternative of
downloading for free. (At the same computers where there is Internet
access, there is also access to networked CD-ROM databases.)

They have to bring their own floppy disks. We don't sell any here.

Here's the basic security setup (the OS is Win95):
--Computer setup (at boot time) is password protected.
--Setup allows booting only from the hard disk.
--We use Fortres 101 software for additional security. It allows us to
prevent: writing to the hard disk, changes to the registry, interruption
of the boot process, right-clicking, using My Computer or Recycle Bin,
etc.

So, far, no viruses!

Julie Castelluzzo          juliec at cooper.edu
Electronic Services Librarian