WIN 95: Security: how can I hide My Computer from the desktop

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Apr 8 15:26:31 EDT 1998

I've checked the archives and found
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu:8000/Security/win95/index.html
That page states that there is not yet a resolve to this situation.  If
someone new has the answer or someone that did not know that page could
be updated with an answer, I'll pose this question after explaining the
situation.

I've set up one generic public username for Novell and ALPHA NT servers
on all of  our public machines to auto logon when they are booted up.
The NT server has the user profiles, the Novell server houses the
software to access the CDROM Tower.  The user profile gives the public
patron access to free telnet, netscape [as setup using the CCK], and
notepad from the desktop and the printer folder, for when the winspool
goes offline, is accessed from the start menu.  Also on the desktop is
My Computer icon which I have not been able to hide from the Desktop
yet.  Under the public user profile and logon, My Computer shows nothing
when open but a right click from the mouse allows a user to open
explorer and then use goto in explorer to access the local hard drive.
After renaming the icon and setting the link to no icon(or transparent)
the harddrive started running and Explorer (the file viewer) reloaded
several times, as one instance not multiple copies.  When all stopped
every login was given public user rights, almost none.  It took a while
to fix that.  If I disable the desktop and make the only interface the
start menu, files from web links get saved to the start menu when save
file is chosen.  So_

Question:
Without having to purchase third party software, does anyone know how to
disable, lock, hide, or otherwise prevent access to  My Computer from
the Desktop in Wndows 95?

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured
by
the number of complaints received