Public Access PCs in Academic Libraries - HELP!

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Apr 8 12:06:55 EDT 1998

Security is a prime concern, I'm sure, at several institutions.  It would be
interseting and helpful to know exactly what their security concern is.  Several
questions pop into my mind on first reading this.

1 Are the individual client machines set up with any restrictions such as
profiles or using programs such as Ikiosk, or is it straight out of the box
windows 95 with no precautions taken?

2 Why do they want network authentication for each user, is there a particular
person or people that they don't want to have access to these machines?

I have worked closely with our campus network support and we set up one generic
public username for Novell on all of  our public machines to auto logon when
they are booted up. Also, I have replicated this username and password on the
Library ALPHA NT server so when we use autologin we are logged into both
servers.  The NT server has the user profiles, the Novell server gives access to
CDROM Tower.  The user profile gives the public patron access to free telnet,
netscape[as setup using the CCK], and notepad from the desktop and printer
folder, for when the winspool goes offline, from the start menu.  Also on the
desktop is My Computer icon which I have not been able to hide from the desktop
yet [new question for web4lib].  Under the public user profile, My Computer
shows nothing when open but a right click from the mouse allows a user to open
explorer.   I'll explain this situation in my question to w4l.

We don't deny Telnet or Web access to anybody as long as use is in accordance
with the ASU Computer usage policy which does address chat and mail.
http://www2.acs.appstate.edu/computer.htm

It is the my understanding that the Library feels that parents are responsible
for their children.  But, there may be local ordinances in your area that
require filtering or University policy.

Hope this is of some help
Thomas

Katherine Furlong wrote:

> My Library Director asked me to post the following question to you, in
> hopes that we can get some information to use in our next round of meetings.
>
> * * * * *
> "At the University of Maine at Farmington, we are putting 20 new Windows 95
> PCs in our public areas.  These machines would be used to access our new
> Web-based catalog and magazine indexes, as well as general Internet
> searching.  Campus e-mail, word processing and other services will not be
> offered.
>
> Providing Internet access is causing concern for our computing center,
> which provides hardware and network support for us.  I have gotten into a
> disagreement with the computer center folks over network security.  They
> are wanting Novell network authentication to the level of the user
> (password, network ID), and possibly using a filter (such as Bess) in case
> any children use our system (Our recent capital campaign opened our library
> to the community, in exchange for a million bucks.).  We in the library are
> opposed to a filter such as Bess, nor do we want to have users reboot the
> machines and authenticate to search the Web or look at our Web-based
> gateway.  The administration is now involved, but most of the technical
> expertise lies with the computer center, so I need input from other
> librarians on how network security, authentication, and access to children
> is handled.  I am willing to compromise and allow just searching from our
> terminals and using a product such as IKIOSK to limit e-mail and chat
> rooms, but even this is a problem for our computer center.
>
> Does anyone out there have any suggestions for our situation, or examples of
> how you cope with these issues?  Thanks.  Frank Roberts, Library Director."
>
> * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>
> <<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>
> Katherine Furlong                   <> Mantor Library, 41 High St.
> User Education and                  <> Farmington, ME  04938
>      Electronic Resources Librarian <> kfurlong at maine.maine.edu
> University of Maine at Farmington   <> 207-778-7224

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II                  University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu                http://www.library.appstate.edu/admin/
Voice:  704 262 2797   FAX:    704 262 3001

In librarianship--as elsewhere--the quality of service is not measured by
the number of complaints received