Remove From List

Karen G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Apr 13 06:25:29 EDT 1998

The other part about being a big ole Internet guru is understanding that
there can be differences of opinion (as it were) between your mailserver
and the list's mailserver about what your real address actually is.  If the
list thinks you are happycamper at wings.foobird.com and your machine thinks
you are happycamper at legs.foobird.com, the *only* way to fix that problem is
to contact the list manager, who will manually remove the address as the
list understands it.  This is normally done with a polite note sent
directly to the list moderator (versus a hot-tempered flame blasted to the
entire list). Among other things, if it turns out that your inability to
sign off has more to do with your technical inexpertise than a
machine-machine conflict, you only look foolish to one person, who will be
so glad that you did not make a public issue of your problem that he or she
will not even comment on your error.  On PubLib, Sara Weissman and I often
manage this type of request discretely, behind the scenes, and I'm sure Roy
Tennant does likewise.

Karen G. Schneider |  kgs at bluehighways.com http://www.bluehighways.com
Director, Garfield Library of Brunswick, NY  garfield at crisny.org
Author: A Practical Guide to Internet Filters, Neal Schuman, 1997