PowWow Communities and Academic Librarians -Reply

Janice.White at fct-cf.x400.gc.ca Janice.White at fct-cf.x400.gc.ca
Thu Sep 25 11:09:52 EDT 1997

Hi

IRC is your best bet because it is not platform specific.  I have had
conversations on the multitude of channels there and work as an
operator on one.  I have encountered many people using Macs and
having different platforms.

It is easy to create a channel and register it.  All it takes is one person to
create it and become the "special operator".  The sop is in charge of
maintenance, which is very little short of assigning operator status to key
members.

I highly recommend it and if anyone has questions on it please contact
me at my home e-mail address:  jmwhite at cyberus.ca

Nice thing about IRC is its international in scope.  I suggest using the
Dalnet servers as a home base.  It is one of the larger servers and the
most well known outside of Undernet.

Janice White
Federal Court of Canada Library

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Wilfred Drew wrote:

> Got to start somewhere.  I looked at Moos and such including the DU
moo.
> They make no sense to me.  I do like chat and thought this would be a
> good place to start.
>
> Any thoughts?

Provided you can get MOOs to work (I've been involved off and on with
MOO
developement since 1991) they're really about the best choice.  I think
going with *anything* that is platform specific is a Bad Idea all around.

You could set up a private IRC server -- this would be less problematic
than doing a MOO.  Or set up a librarian channel on an existing IRC
network.

-- john f.