Netscape Communicator, sans email?

Monica King ou_lib1 at alpha.nlu.edu
Wed Sep 24 14:57:28 EDT 1997

Karen,
I too read that message and downloaded Netscape Navigator 4.03 to
replace the old browser on our public workstations.  It does not have
any mail functions which is wonderful (we only allow our patrons to
access web-based e-mail accounts)  However we do still use I-Kiosk to
lock down features we don't want patrons tinkering with using the record
feature in I-Kiosk. (For example setting our Home page, etc..)  I really
like the improvements with this newest release.  Patrons only need to
type "hotmail" to get to www.hotmail.com, no more having to instruct
patrons to preface their sites with http:// and there are many other
nice features as well.

In addition to I-Kiosk we also use Fortres and Win4U as additional
security programs.  Fortres to prevent things like writing to the hard
drive, fooling around with ini files, etc...  And we added Win4U to have
a cleaner, more aesthetically pleasing interface to the workstation.
Win4U (and Everybody's Menu Builder which is a similar product) prevent
users from opening more than one application at a time (which on
occasion was causing problems on some of our workstaions)   We selected
Win4U because it has some additional features our library system needs
(like setting time limits for certain applications) and ,while we
haven't used it long, so far it seems to be working out.

I hope this information is helpful.  Please contact me directly if you
have any specific questions.

Monica King
Head of Reference
Ouachita Parish Public Library