Database evaluation

Floyd Csir - Electronic Resources Librarian fcsir at cbu.edu
Tue Sep 23 17:34:14 EDT 1997

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Camille Del Vecchio wrote:

> 	We have formed a committee to evaluate various full-text
> databases (IAC, FirstSearch, Ebscohost etc.) and we are trying to come up
> with criteria and a form to use for each one.  Has anyone invented this
> particular wheel already and would you be willing to share?  I'd
> appreciate a copy of any forms you've created. Our fax number is
> 716-383-0057.

My library has an Online Database Survey Form at
http://www.cbu.edu/library/onform.html

The form is a link from a database page which says "What do you think of
these databases?" I've included the text of the form below. It would be
interesting to see the criteria other libraries use to evaluate databases
(either via the web, print survey or whatever else). Despite the time and
effort put into creating this form for the web, I've only received 10

Online Database Survey Form

Please select the database product you are rating and then rank your
being very easy to use.

Select a Database Product:
Author Searches :
Subject Searches :
Keyword Searches :
Finding online help :
Usefulness of help :
Refining or Limiting Search Results :
Marking/Unmarking Records :
Downloading, emailing and printing results :
Navigating the screens :
Understanding terms that describe functions :

Please rank the relevancy of your search results to your information need
on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being not at all relevant and 5 being very
relevant.

Overall Comments :

Floyd J. Csir			Electronic Resources Librarian
fcsir at cbu.edu			Plough Library
phone: 901-321-3433		Christian Brothers University
fax: 901-321-3219		650 East Parkway South
http://www.cbu.edu/library/	Memphis, TN 38104