SUMMARY - Chinese Libraries on the Web

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Wed Sep 10 17:56:33 EDT 1997

I recently posted a message to the Web4Lib list asking for information
about Chinese Web sites, Chinese character set solutions, and search
engines devoted to or strong in Chinese Web/Internet resources. I'm
"studying up" in preparation for a six-week staff exchange to Fujian
Provincial Library, People's Republic of China.

Thanks very much for the usual quick, and valuable response from library
colleagues.  Here below is a summary of the messages received. These
gave me a real head start on the topic, and may be of interest to
others.

One last question, please.... Do any of the search engines have an
effective query parameter that will maybe let you restrict hits to the
*.cn domain?

Thanks again,
-ernest

Ernest Perez//Oregon State Library//perez at opac.state.or.us//503-378-4243
Where is the knowledge that is lost in information?  Where is the wisdom
that is lost in knowledge?       -- T.S. Eliot

An EXCELLENT and simple introduction to the Chinese character set topic
called "Read Chinese in Net Applications" is at
   <http://WWW.Cathay.Net/help/read-chn.shtml>.
It's maintained by Shunguo Liu, <liushus at Leroy.CC.URegina.CA>.

Gleason Sackman <gleason at rrnet.com> wrote:
> Checkout:
>
> Chinese Web Directory
> http://www.lynx.bc.ca/~satotech/cwebdir/
>
> Netscape 2.0 enhanced comprehensive Web directory with Java,
> frames, multilingual & multimedia (audio/video) features.
> Covers everything from Arts and Literature, Business,
> Computers/Internet, Entertainment, Festivals, Jobs and MUCH more.
>
> -----
> http://www.geopages.com/SiliconValley/1250/
>
> This page contains a lot of Chinese related web sites. If you want
> information about China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, this is the right place
> for you.
>
> -----
> Information resource list about Chinese
> http://www.ncl.ac.uk/~n4521661/chinese.html
>
> Useful information Resource in internet about Chinese, mostly
> focusing on those containing news, general information, business
> information, and notably, software which helps users on
> many platforms (Win, Mac, etc..) read chinese.
>
> -----
> Chinese Librarianship: an International Electronic Journal (CLIEJ)
> http://www.lib.siu.edu, USA
> The e-journal focuses on the practical aspects of Chinese librarianship. It
> publishes articles written by Chinese librarians, information scientists and
> library school faculty and students, as well as by librarians and
> information professionals of other nationalities on issues related to
> serving patrons with Chinese materials. It also reports any major
> developments of Chinese librarianship throughout the world. First issue to
> appear June '96.
> URL http://www.lib.siu.edu/swen/iclc/clej.htm
> Information supplied by: Shixing Wen (shwen at siu.edu )

A readable and informative background paper, although dated, is "The
Internet and Scholarly Communication in China." It's issued by China
Exchange News, Committee on Scholarly Communication with China,
Washington, D.C., Winter 1994. It's available at
<http://www.bridge.org/csccpaper.html>.

Jian Liu <jiliu at script.lib.indiana.edu> wrote