strange Netscape alert

Ted Koppel tkoppel at denver.carl.org
Fri Oct 31 14:01:05 EST 1997

>From Paul H. Gray's original message:
*
*Running Netscape 2.01 under Windows 3.1
*All of a sudden - after you click the icon and before Netscape actually
*loads - I am getting an alert box  - no message -- just a small box with
*the "!" in one corner and "OK" in the other.
*Clicking on "OK" lets Netscape go ahead and load and everything appears to
*run fine.
*It's just a bother to have to click away what looks like an error messae
*every time you launch the application.
*
*Has anyone else seen this?  What did you do about it?

   Early Netscapes under Windows 3.11 used to give an empty dialog alert
   box when the REG.DAT file (Windows 3.11 version of the Registry file)
   was clobbered.  I imagine that if you did a CHKDSK or SCANDISK it would
   report a 'broken file' or something similar.

   When this used to happen to me, I deleted the REG.DAT file.  All was
   well thereafter.  Note that REG.DAT in Windows 3.11 had nowhere near
   the importance that it does in W95.

   Ted