disabling the close box on Netscape

Don Bowers don at amon.pub-lib.ci.fort-worth.tx.us
Sat Oct 25 15:58:51 EDT 1997

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Timothy E. Thompson wrote:

> Kudos to Don Bowers for the tip on how to automatically refresh Netscape pages.
>
> I was wondering whether he or anybody else out there knows how to make
> Navigator (for Mac) ignore mousclicks to the webpage closebox.  Even though
> I've pasted a sign on the monitor which says "Don't click the close box",
> patrons do it anyway, and the staff keeps having to reload the homepage.
> I've even tried pasting a piece of gray tape over the position of the
> closebox, but they remove it!!  How many of you out there have had the same
> problem?!
>
> I know there's a kiosk version of Navigator available but it seems to hard
> to locate.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -----------------------
> Timothy E. Thompson, Librarian
> Syracuse University Florence
> Piazza Savonarola #15
> 50132  Florence     ITALY
> tel. 011-3955-571-376
> fax  011-3955-500-0531
> tethomps at syr.fi.it

Timothy,

   Don't know about the MAC version, as we only use the Windows version -
but in the Windows version all you have to do is use version 2.0 or
higher.  In the command line enter -k to start the program up in kiosk
mode (i.e., ~\NETSCAPE.EXE -k ).  Be aware, though, that this does not
totally secure the program.  It does "hide" all of the buttons and
prevent changes to the program options - but all of the CONTROL- key
features are still usable (i.e., <CNTL><R> for RELOAD, <CNTL><L> for
LOCATION, etc.).
   Additionally, to limit access to your hard drive requires that you
edit the program code slightly to keep "prying eyes" out.
   Probably wasn't much help - sorry.  If I think of, or come across,
anything I'll let you know.

-dwb	8^)

  * The Library is a living organism and if you do not feed it new *
  * materials it will die.  - Susan Matthews                       *

  |\                    /|	*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*
  | |                  | | 	*				*
   \ \                / /  	# Donald W. Bowers (Don)	#
     \ \_____________/ /   	* Manager, Automated Services	*
       \__         __/       	# Fort Worth Public Library	#
         |  _   _  | 	 	* 300 Taylor Street		*
	 \    |    /   		# Fort Worth, TX  76102-7333	#
	  |   |   |    		* Voice: (817) 871-8960/8961	*
           \     /		# FAX:   (817) 871-7734		#
	   COWTOWN 		*				*
| DISCLAIMER:  While every effort has been made to ensure that the   |
|              above information is correct, in its entirety, one    |
|              is only human.  Any use of the information/material   |
|              above is at the sole risk of the user.                |
|     *  Views represented are strictly personal and *DO NOT*  *     |
|    *  represent those of the Fort Worth Public Library.     *      |