Electronic libraries

Sloan, Bernie bernies at uillinois.edu
Thu Oct 23 21:07:41 EDT 1997

I recently sent postings to a number of lists regarding
the California Digital Library (CDL) project, as mentioned
in the 10/24 issue of the Chronicle of Higher Education.
The major reason I did this is that personal experience
has shown that many higher education administrators pay
attention to what's published in forums like the Chronicle.
I believe that it's important to alert folks to articles like
these, as someone at the local institution is likely to be
paying attention, and it's a good idea to be forewarned.

Having said that, I think the COMPLETELY "electronic library" is
a long way off, for a number of obvious reasons. At the same
time, library capabilities are being greatly enhanced by access to
electronic resources. I think that we need to be aware that there
are external pressures to move to the fully electronic library,
and that we REALLY need to think about how to react to
these pressures. While we continue to provide enhanced
electronic services, we need to make it clear that there will
always a need for resources in other formats.

Bernie Sloan

Bernie Sloan
Senior Library Information Systems Consultant
University of Illinois Office for Planning & Budgeting
338 Henry Administration Building
506 S. Wright Street
Urbana, IL  61801
Phone:  217-333-4895