WebPages or Powerpoint

Peter Murray pem at po.cwru.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:05:41 EDT 1997

A web presentation is also cross-platform.  On my Mac, I can put the
presentation on a floppy disk and take it any place that has a web browser
to display it...I generally don't have to worry about what the remote site
has because everyone nowadays has a modern web browser of some sort on
some platform.  Having a linked set of web pages also makes it easy for
the audience to review the material from home.  The only thing I've had
trouble with is generating a PDF file or some other portable way of giving
the presentation to someone so that they can publish it in program notes.
What I've done for the last few ones is print each slide to a postscript
file, use Acrobat Distiller to convert each postscript file to a PDF file,
and then build the entire presentation in Exchange by Importing the
individual PDF files into one big one.

I wrote some software that helps with the process.  I can create an entire
presentation in one HTML file and then use a Perl script to seperate it
out to index slides (2 levels deep) and content slides, with linking
between all of them.  If you are interested check out the "HTML Slide
Generator" link off of my home page (listed below).

Peter
--
Peter Murray, Library Systems Manager                      pem at po.cwru.edu
Digital Media Services                   http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html