Question Color bars repeating

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Oct 23 08:28:07 EDT 1997

-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth Hamilton <hamilte at one.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wednesday, October 22, 1997 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: Question Color bars repeating

>> A colleague of mine is working on a Web page.
>> He has designed a page with a colored bar along the
>> left side.
>..
>
>> Does anyone know of a solution so that this graphic
>> would show up properly on a wide variety of resolutions?
>> (640x 480, 800x 600 etc.)
>
>Make your image 1280 pixels wide. That's the pixel width of the
>highest resolution monitors. It works fine on lower resolutions.
>Try, of course to keep the height as small as possible. I use
>1 pixel high by 1280 wide for solid bars.

Some older browsers had problems tiling lots of tiny background images; I've
seen recommendations that you make them at least 10 pixels high.

I'd be falling down in my role of CSS acolyte if I didn't at least point out
this possibility :-)

    BODY {background: white url(colorbar.jpg) repeat-y}

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu