Help on redirect url parameter

Chuck Bearden cbearden at sparc.hpl.lib.tx.us
Mon Oct 20 11:21:12 EDT 1997

> Date:          Mon, 20 Oct 1997 12:02:00 -0700
> From:          matylonj at ccmail.orst.edu (John C. Matylonek)

>      The meta refresh at =
>
>      http://www.orst.edu/instruct/engr485-585/ browser redirect =
>
>      is now working. It was the qoutes that initially caused me =
>
>      trouble. However, do you know anything about the .htaccess =
>
>      file Redirect command. That would useful to know as well. It =
>
>      seems when I use the construction:
>      =
>
>      Redirect /dept/instruct/engr485-585/ http://www.orst.edu/~matylonj
>      =
>
>      in a .htaccess file located in the engr485-585 directory
>      =
>
>      to have the server redirect a browser from the index.html in =
>
>      the engr485-585 directory to the tilde directory, I get a =
>
>      server error message about a misconfiguration. Any ideas?

It looks to me from the first URL you give that the document root for
the server begins at the instruct directory, not the dept directory
you give in the Redirect directive.  Try the following directive
instead:

Redirect /instruct/engr485-585/ http://www.orst.edu/~matylonj

I think you either have to use the server's document root, or the
absolute root of the whole machine in a directive, if you are
specifying the path from a root (i.e. with leading /).

Hope this helps,

Chuck
Chuck Bearden
                                email: cbearden at hpl.lib.tx.us
Network Services Librarian
Automation Department		voice: 713/247-2264
Houston Public Library		fax:   713/247-1182
500 McKinney Ave.
Houston, TX  77002