Benefits of virtual libraries

sunner at vicnet.net.au sunner at vicnet.net.au
Sun Oct 19 09:05:12 EDT 1997

Hello,

I have been lurking on this list for a little while, gathering some great
information and ideas as I get my hands dirty developing my first virtual
library for a small special library that services k-12 and higher education
union staff.  For all the information, ideas & debate I thank you.

I have been trying to find some hard evidence of the benefits to users of
providing a virtual library - qualitative evaluations, cost-benefit
analysis, user surveys... anything.  I know people must be doing
evaluations, but the library literature doesn't seem to be reflecting it.
Or am I missing something?

Have any of you conducted any evaluations that you are able to share, or
point me to some literature?  I want to provide some evidence to the
"powers" in support of getting a budget for the project.  (The fact that my
clients want electronic services doesn't seem to be enough!)

Any help would greatly be appreciated by this novice.

Kati

Kati Sunner
Alternate email: katis at edunions.labor.net.au