while we're on the subject of JavaScript...

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 16 13:04:15 EDT 1997

Hello,

I'd like to know whether anyone is using a script (JavaScript or other) to
display the value of the ID attribute for the element(s) the cursor is
over. I'd like to implement the following logic:

Display (in the status bar) the value of the ID attribute of the <p> the
cursor is in. If there is no <p>, or it does not have an ID, display the
value of the ID attribute of the <div>.

Ideally, this script should be attached to the <body> element so its call
doesn't have to be replicated on every <div> and <p>.

What I'd like to do is to display reference information for block-level
elements of a large text for citation purposes, without making readers dig
through the source markup. Is anyone doing this already?

Thanks,

PG
Peter C. Gorman
University of Wisconsin