Problems loading Word/Excel documents from Netscape

Robert J Tiess rjtiess at juno.com
Mon Oct 13 19:54:55 EDT 1997

Michael Tan <tan_m at tor-srs2.netcom.ca> writes:
>I cannot install any other applications onto the fileserver, such as
the
>w3launch, which would probably solve my problem.  The problem is that
>if I have a link to a word file, such as
>
>file:///l|/siteinfo/editthis.doc
>
>and the user clicks on it, the document loads up fine in Word and the
>user is able to make the necessary changes to the file and save it back
>the original directory and file.
>
>However, if the user closes the document and decides to load it up again
>via Netscape, Word pops up but the filename resembles something of a
>temporary filename and the directory is their default word data
directory.

Sounds like a caching "problem."  The temporary filename (usually
something like X1234567.HTM) comes from the cache subdirectory,
where Netscape tracks documents and images recently accessed for
the purpose of quickly reloading a page when you revisit it.  One way you
might temporarily overcome this is to set the Netscape Option/Network/
Cache/Verify Documents to "every time."  I've actually encountered your
problem a few times while editing web graphics and found this to help.
Also I found lowering the cache to a K below the smallest of the large
files
I was working with to sufficiently prevent Netscape from using a cached
copy of the file.  But, I should add, this was *way* back when I was
using
NN 2.0, Win 3.1, and a very low-end graphics package.

I'd be curious as to how you resolved this.  Good luck, Michael.

RJT