IRSQ info

Lyn Elizabeth M. Martin lynm at seattleu.edu
Tue Oct 7 15:05:41 EDT 1997

Greetings, Web4Lib colleagues!

Forgive a long posting, but..........

I am Editor-in-Chief of IRSQ:  Internet Reference Services Quarterly.  I
was pleased to note that a recent posting by IRSQ: Internet Reference
Services Quarterly "Web Strands" Column Editor, Bruce Pomerantz
(brucep.fuse.net) generated some requests for information about IRSQ.
I encourage anyone with ideas for Bruce's column to contact him
directly.

I hope that this posting will answer most of the questions generated by
Bruce's posting.  If you have more questions, please contact me directly.

IRSQ is a peer-reviewed quarterly published by The Haworth Press, Inc.
(contact Haworth directly for subscription info: 10 Alice Street,
Binghamton, NY 13904-1580 or 800-HAWORTH or getinfo at haworth.com)
that focuses on all things at the Internet-library reference/public
services convergence, including:
            Internet bib instruction
            library web pages
            Internet staff training
            Internet acquisitions/collection development issues
            Internet-related copyright issues
            Internet access issues
            Bib control issues as they impact reference/public service
            Reviews/descriptions of Web sites ("Web Strands" column)
            Internet Book Reviews
            Internet literacy
            Internet legal issues
            subject-specific Internet-topics (medicine/agriculture/social
                sciences/eduction/music, etc.)

IRSQ (as all Haworth journals) is PRINT-only journal.  It is not available
as an e-journal at this time--altho table of contents and manuscript
abstracts are posted to IRSQ's Web page.

Currently several "thematic" issues are planned and calls for papers for
these issues was recently issued at a variety of fall conferences and on a
variety of listservs.  The special issue calls for papers include:
           Internet medical information, services, and applications
           Internet legal information, services, and applications
           Internet agricultural information, services, and applications
           Internet-serials services/applications
If you have a proposal for a paper for one of these special issues or for
any other Internet topics contact me directly for more information.
Previous calls for papers on Web4Lib resulted in some very fine
manuscripts that have already been published in IRSQ.

IRSQ is currently in the process of substantially redsigning/revising
and MOVING its Web site.  IRSQ's old Web site at:
http://www.cobleskill/edu/service/lrc/irsq is still active, but is
(unfortunately) out of date (more issues have been published than show on
the page, column editors have been added and changed, detailed author's
instructions have been revised, the Editorial Board has changed, etc.).
The new Web site at:
http://www.seattleu.edu/irsq
will (also unfortunately) not be available until c. Nov. 1 due to server
upgrades and attendent problems here at Seattle U.

I should also add that Web4Lib listowner, Roy Tennant, is serving on
IRSQ's Editorial Board and is the author of an excellent guest editorial
to be published in an forthcoming issue!

Editorially yours,
Lyn Elizabeth
                   LYN ELIZABETH M. MARTIN
Head, Technical Services      Editor-in-Chief
AA Lemieux Library 201        IRSQ: Internet Reference Services Quarterly
Seattle University            Voice:  206-296-6206
Broadway & Madison            Fax:    206-296-2572
900 Broadway                  E-mail: lynm at seattleu.edu
Seattle, WA 98122

  "IT NEEDS A LOT OF EDITING.  I LIKE THAT IN A MANUSCRIPT." --Stein, 1994