Promoting a paragraph and Style Sheets

Andrew J. Mutch amutch at tln.lib.mi.us
Tue Oct 7 10:26:22 EDT 1997

I'd like to second(or third) Tom Dowling's comments about the use of Style
Sheets.  While I find it can take a bit of work, you can't beat the
precision and consistency that Style Sheets provides.

I've added them to a number of our library's pages, mainly for defining
backgrounds, indents, and fonts.  By linking to a single Style Sheet, I
can maintain a consistent look, with very little effort and can change the
look on a dozen pages by changing one file.

So, what happens when browsers that don't support Style Sheets access the
pages?  Well, they get a little plainer-version of the pages.  I've
avoided trying to use Style Sheets to create effects that self-destruct
when older browsers access the page.

Andrew Mutch
Northville District Library
Northville, MI