Promoting a paragraph

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 7 09:11:38 EDT 1997

Hello,

I'm in complete agreement with Tom Dowling's suggestions (we standards
bigots have to stick together, after all!). In this and similar threads,
there seems to be an assumption that a specific design effect (in this
case, a hanging indent) is an absolute prerequisite that must be attained
for everyone at all costs. If that is indeed the case, then HTML is the
wrong tool - you should be using PDF or some graphics format. I can think
of two examples where this is clearly motivated: reproducing an existing
item, like a book, where the physical appearance is important to retain, or
with legal documents like tax forms.

The fact that a given HTML page displays differently on different devices
and with different software is a strength, not a shortcoming - it was
designed that way. Style sheets go a long way toward addressing folks'
legitimate design concerns while adhering to both the spirit and the letter
of HTML/SGML standards. As Tom pointed out, they also accomplish this in a
way that should not interfere with browsers that don't support them.

PG
Peter C. Gorman
University of Wisconsin
General Library System