Printer recommendations?

Terri Muraski muraskit at UWSTOUT.EDU
Fri Nov 21 15:47:14 EST 1997

We are looking to set up a laser printer network similar to the one
described below using a
Windows NT server.  We are looking for print queue software which will hold
and queue print "orders" from the PC's until the student requests printing.
 We plan to charge for the printing
using a card reader system already on campus.

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations regarding software for NT?

At 08:24 AM 11/21/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Because of the per-page printing costs of inkjets, we removed our inkjet
>printers from public areas and put networked laserprinters into place.
>(We removed Deskjet 600's, and now have 19 library owned, and about 35
>computer center-owned PC's printing to a combination of 3 HPLaserjet5M
>printers.)
>
>I remember per page estimates of the cost of consumibles for printing,
>something like 2 to 2.5 cents per page for laser, and 4 cents per page
>for inkjets using black ink.  That would probably be based on 5% coverage
>of the page with ink.  Many web pages produce output that requires far
>more ink than that.  So the real costs may be twice as high, or more.
>
>This shifts the economics from cheaper to buy inkjets, towards cheaper to
>print laser printers.
>
>--
>
>Kyle Harriss				kharriss at d.umn.edu
>Tech Services 				voice: 218-726-6546