Printer recommendations?

Kyle Harriss kharriss at d.umn.edu
Fri Nov 21 10:44:50 EST 1997

Because of the per-page printing costs of inkjets, we removed our inkjet
printers from public areas and put networked laserprinters into place.
(We removed Deskjet 600's, and now have 19 library owned, and about 35
computer center-owned PC's printing to a combination of 3 HPLaserjet5M
printers.)

I remember per page estimates of the cost of consumibles for printing,
something like 2 to 2.5 cents per page for laser, and 4 cents per page
for inkjets using black ink.  That would probably be based on 5% coverage
of the page with ink.  Many web pages produce output that requires far
more ink than that.  So the real costs may be twice as high, or more.

This shifts the economics from cheaper to buy inkjets, towards cheaper to
print laser printers.

Kyle Harriss				kharriss at d.umn.edu
Tech Services 				voice: 218-726-6546
UMD Library				fax:   218-726-8019