Yahoo wins PC Mag Editor's Choice

Harry M. Kriz Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu
Fri Nov 21 10:11:56 EST 1997

The discussion of Yahoo as being so awful took me by surprise as I use it
as my starting point for any searching. I like the idea that human
intelligence has been applied to classifying and categorizing the sites
indexed by Yahoo. I don't do enough Web searching to have the kinds of
insights people have posted to this list about Yahoo.

PC Magazine, Vol. 16, No. 21, pp. 227-255 (December 2, 1997) reviews many
Internet search tools. Yahoo was the Editor's Choice for Internet
Directory, with HotBot being the Editor's Choice for a Search Index.

The review did rate Yahoo as the poorest service for eliminating dead
links. Yahoo was rated Excellent for simple queries and for eliminating
duplicates.

--Harry

Harry_M_Kriz at vt.edu   540-231-7052   FAX:  540-231-3694
http://learning.lib.vt.edu/authors/hmkriz.html
University Libraries
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)
Blacksburg, VA   24061-0434     USA
"What joy to awake every morning in a world so filled with  things to learn."
                                                         - H. M. Kriz (1994)