color change for one cell

Stacy Pober Spober at manhattan.edu
Mon Nov 17 21:57:27 EST 1997

I looked at your page and the color problem did occur in my browser
(Netscape 3.01 Gold running on Windows for Workgroups 3.11)
I have used a similar code on my pages and had no problems at
all, so to see what your problem I downloaded the file locally and
looked at the code in Notepad.

Interestingly, in Notepad, there were little non-ascii codes at the
end of each line of HTML.  These appeared as solid rectangular boxes,
one character in size.   They are something like the unwanted code I
get at the end of a document when I save a file in WordPerfect 5.1 in
ASCII text.

I hand-deleted the little boxes, resaved the document, and lo and
behold, your color code for that TD table cell suddenly worked just
fine.

I suspect your word processor is inserting a non-visible character
at every line break in your HTML.  While I could not see it in View
Document Source in Netscape, they were consistently there when the
same file was opened in Notepad.  Similar small graphics characters
were at the *beginning* of each line when I opened the file in
Microsoft Word.  (Looked at it in WordPerfect for Windows but didn't
see any problems there.)

Try the same code typed in using another word processing program or a
simple text editor such as Notepad on a Windows 3.1 system (hey,
maybe the unwanted code is not a Win95 problem as such, but you never
know...)

Good luck,
Stacy

Stacy Pober                   Internet: spober at manvax.cc.manhattan.edu
Information Alchemist         http://www.manhattan.edu/library/mclmenu.html
Manhattan College Libraries   Phone:  718-862-7980
Riverdale, NY 10471           Fax:  718-862-7995