Dvorak in NY Times -Reply

Wayne Daniels wdaniels at gwmail.mtrl.toronto.on.ca
Wed Nov 5 16:03:18 EST 1997

Curious coincidence. A bit of a tangent, really, but there's an
article in the current ATLANTIC MONTHLY about typewriters (among much
else), mentioning the attempt to reform QWERTY. The author remarks
that not enough of those who had been to the trouble of learning the
old system were prepared to master a new one. I sometimes wish we
might nowadays put our collective foot down when some unlikely bit of
"progress" is advocated. Every now and then.

Best,

Wayne Daniels

Metro Toronto Reference Library

>>> Jim Morgan <morganj at iupui.edu>  11/5/97, 02:03pm >>>
Dvorak is also a relative (nephew, I think) of the inventor of the
Dvorak
keyboard layout.  The keyboard in test allowed ordinary typists to
greatly
exceed their normal speeds, but never managed to replace the
entrenched QWERTY arrangement.  Perhaps the library services he
critiqued
are like the QWERTY keyboard; very bad but so entrenched they can't
be
replaced.

Jim Morgan
morganj at iupui.edu