launching *.exe application

Justin R Ervin jrervin at uncg.edu
Mon Nov 10 09:42:12 EST 1997

On Fri, 7 Nov 1997 13:19:11 -0800 Alan Boyd
<Alan_Boyd at qmgate.cc.oberlin.edu> wrote:
[...]
> It'd be nice to actually be able to bypass the desktop icons on these
> specific workstations and launch numerous different Windows applications
> from URLs embedded in some HTML text.
[...]
> We don't know of any way for Netscape helper applications to
> differentiate launching "aaa.exe" or "bbb.exe". Has anybody found a
> way to work around this?

We had good luck with W3launch on our Win 3.1 computers running Netscape
3.x. However, our Win 95 computers running Netscape 4.x can launch .exe
and .bat files quite seamlessly and without installing additional
software. Just make sure that command.com is set up as your "helper app"
for .exe and .bat files (Netscape 4.x should come that way.) and you're
good to go!