Global Search and Replace

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 7 12:39:03 EST 1997

Jim Rible writes:

>I was wondering what others experiences have been like with "globally" (i.e.
>across many files all at once) replacing text in HTML documents.

I do this fairly often with BBEdit (sorry, Mac only), both Lite and Pro,
across hundreds of files simultaneously. I have never had any problems with
it aside from occasional RAM cram. It also searches recursively through
subdirectories if you tell it to, and has several options for reporting,
saving, and verifying replacements.

>Any other horror stories?

Aw, why focus on the negative? Let's hear what *works*. I'd like to be able
to recommend something to my poor benighted Windows colleagues! <duck>

PG
Peter C. Gorman
University of Wisconsin
General Library System