Global Search and Replace

Jim Rible Rible at sou.edu
Fri Nov 7 11:41:56 EST 1997

I was wondering what others experiences have been like with "globally" (i.e.
across many files all at once) replacing text in HTML documents.

I have used Sitemill and it placed an "A" with an umlaut at the bottom of
every page.  Fortunately I only did this across six files so I could easily
delete them.

I have also used the site manager that came with Corel's Webmaster suite.
This little "gem" left extra HTML codes at the bottom of every page.
Unfortunately I did this across several hundred files and there is no way to
clean it up since evey page has a different set of codes left at the bottom..

I finally have found a good tool in Coast Software's Webmaster 2.0 (the
first version of which was included with Corel's suite).  Coast Webmaster
seems to work just fine.

Any other horror stories?

Jim Rible
Southern Oregon University