web issues: blocking email, chat, and porn

Jim Hurd jhurd at indiana.edu
Sat May 31 20:52:06 EDT 1997

	Bloomington IN has a non-profit internet access company.  I don't
think either of the other two ISP's (one is owned by the local newspaper)
have objected. It is free to use only from the library, and places that
have telnet access, such as IU.  It is a separate entity from the Public
Library but is housed in the Library building. Southern Florida has a
freenet that allows even free dial-in and I didn't hear of any of the
ISP's complaining.  One ISP exec, who had a radio show in Miami said
that personally he liked having competition from other ISP's, freenets,
and national online services. In his opinion, the competition kept them on
their toes, and motivated the workforce to be produce better and more
efficient services.  It could have just been PR, but I think the guy was
being sincere. Before the great shake-outs occur many of the ISP's will be
run by old hackers, who are in the game for more than the bottom line.