web issues: blocking email, chat, and porn

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Sat May 31 19:53:00 EDT 1997

Dan Lester wrote:

>On the debate on email,
>the only point that I didn't notice was that no one mentioned
>the potential conflict/problem of a public, tax supported
>agency competing with local for-profit business.  I'm sure that
>if any library in Idaho provided free email accounts, etc, that a
>number of ISPs would be all over them, in court if necessary.

That is *exactly* what happened when the Salem (OR) Public Library set
itself up as an ISP.  The local ISPs screamed bloody murder that this
was unfair competition, and tried very hard to get the Salem City
Council to make them stop.  That was about 9 months ago, and I
understand they are still in business.

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us