sum-up of proxy server responses

Jim Stemper stemp003 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Sat May 31 17:11:47 EDT 1997

FYI, a tardy sum-up of responses to my query weeks back about performance
issues for proxy servers:

Jean-Marc Edwards of the University of Ottawa and Brian Nielsen of
Northwestern University both pointed me to a document that gets mentioned
frequently, Northwestern University Library's "Using Proxy Services to
access NUL Networked Resources":

http://www.library.nwu.edu/help/proxy/

Jack Suess of UMBC University Computing in Maryland set up a proxy server
in 2 days using the Northwestern model.  From his message of 12 May 1997:

"First, we have created a centralized database of account holders on campus
and use kerberos to authenticate users. We then modified the Netscape proxy
server and added our own user authentication mechanism to the server. This
is done through the NSAPI interface. When someone wants to connect to
restricted site, they enable the proxy server mechanism available in the
browser and connect to proxy.umbc.eud as the proxy server. The proxy server
asks them for their kerberos username and password, which is checked
against our central kerberos system and if correct they can get to the
resource they requested as if coming from the umbc.edu domain."

Back here in Minnesota, Erik Biever found a collection of others'
experiences from Brown University, "Web Authorization/Authentication":

http://www.brown.edu/Facilities/CIS/ATGTest/Infrastructure/Web_Access_Control/Go
alsOptions.html

Thanks to everyone who responded for their help!

js

  Jim Stemper
  University Libraries              /               Digital Media Center
  University of Minnesota, 117 Pleasant St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
  (612) 624-7082                                   (612) 625-5055
  http://www.lib.umn.edu/                        http://www-dmc.tc.umn.edu/
  stemp003 at gold.tc.umn.edu                     Fax: (612) 625-5525