"Metering" Database Access on the Web

Robert Terry rhterry at RBSE.Mountain.Net
Fri May 30 10:52:02 EDT 1997

Hi,

The scenario we are using in the software repository interoperation
allows users to browse metadata seamlessly between libraries with MOUs in
place.  Then when found, a holding can be downloaded after another
authentication at a remote site is made.  A user has to be on that site's
list as well as their own.  Sharing of Usernames/Passwords are being done
mostly by the administrators (Librarians) of the sites.  In any one
session a User will only have to login once to any singular site for
download privs.  This has pleased  each site, since they get realtime
control over their assets and number/names of downloads.  In some cases
there is the issue of a limit to the number of downloads allowed for a
particular asset, this system makes that a site by site control.  Well,
just food for thought on this issue, hope it helps.

Bob Terry
http://rbse.mountain.net/MOREplus/