e-mail in libraries

Karl Bridges cfkfb at eiu.edu
Thu May 29 05:11:29 EDT 1997

It seems that we should integrate new technology in our services
as a library.  Telephone reference service over the Internet? OK.  As
a reference librarian I don't really care how the question is asked --
in person, via e-mail, over the phone, carrier pigeons landing on the
window sill.
					However, we shouldn't get into the business of being a service
provider.  Libraries are providers of information.  We use technology
to assist in the provision of information to users.  We are not and
have never been service providers.  We simply don't have the expertise
or the resources to provide services on this scale.  It's simply not
cost effective.
      I wonder if what is underlying this thread is the tension on
academic campuses between library operations and that of information
technology?  On many campuses information technology or computing
services have taken responsibility for library operations.  In that
context you could see some argument being made that the library should
provide user services (like e-mail, Internet telecom, etc).