Matching search engine/tools with a type of library

Steve Hooley! hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Thu May 29 08:28:41 EDT 1997

        Try DOGPILE.COM as a search engine - I believe this list first
brought it to my attention. It searches using other engines and is very
powerful.

>Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 02:30:30 -0700
>Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
>From: Ed and Margare <embier at netgate.net>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: Matching search engine/tools with a type of library
>
>Hello Alison and the rest of the list,
>
>I'm a library student myself from San Jose State and I wanted to answer
>from my own personal experience.  I use the search engine that fits my
>search needs.
>
>I use Yahoo to browse for sites.  I like the fact that is indexed by human
>beings (some of which are graduates from San Jose State) and enjoy moving
>through the topic trees.  The other services on the engine are nice as
>well- the mapping service and then I like their favorite picks of the day.
>
>If I'm looking for a very specific topic, I tend to go to Lycos.  I like
>the hits I general get on a search and the way they are given a possible
>relevance score.
>
>In my Internet journeys this  url has a good explanation of the various
>search engines.
>
>http://www.augsburg.edu/library/aib/sources.html
>
>I also have a web page for my studies at San Jose State.  The url is below
>my name.
>
>Bye,
>

>Ed and Margaret Bierman
> ____________________            __
> \______NCC_1701_____|) .____.--"--"---._____
>              ||      /-----._________.----/
>      /=======||====/___/       "--"
>      \==\____________|(-
>SLIS Page:ng.netgate.net/~embier/slis.html
>Home page: ng.netgate.net/~embier/
>Web Servant: www.sonic.net/~cnh

 Stephen S. Hooley                "When the going gets
 Romulan Tech Support              weird, the weird

 Systems Group                     turn pro."

 Henderson Library                  -- Hunter S. Thompson

 Ga Southern Univ

 Statesboro, GA 30460