e-mail in libraries

Dianne L Parham DZP at library.sannet.gov
Wed May 28 10:44:29 EDT 1997

I work in a Public Library and I disagree about the notion that hard core
researchers have their own computers.  It may depend on your
interpretation of "hard core" but even yet many people cannot afford
their own computers (especially if they are starting out in their
business) or they have their own computers but cannot, for various
reasons, afford Internet access.  I am ambivalent about this topic
because I do think many people will use email for correspondence rather
than research, and I'm not sure the library needs to be responsible for
each person's ability to communicate BUT on the other hand, I know in
many fields (including my own of grant and development), the way to get
the most current information and help is through Internet access and
e-mail lists.  I don't think it is for me or anyone in the library field
to decide on someone else's behalf what is or is not a frivalous use of
the Internet (and who has the right to say that "frivalous" isn't a
justified use...afterall, libraries carry novels and poetry and other
non-factual materials).  I think we need to decide, as a prior subscriber
said, what our purpose is but also realize the demand is their.  The
community who pays for our services through taxes and donations demands
that a service be given...and if it is received by those who don't pay
taxes or donate isn't a judgment for us to make (I don't want anyone in a
library having to serve as a cybercop over my email).  We have sign up
sheets.  As long as the person has signed up for time, and relinguishes
his/her space when the next person is ready, then I don't see what else
we can do that wouldn't be considered an infringement of this person's
right to seek out information using whatever methods they choose.  There
are libraries who do charge for the privilege of using the Internet so
I'm not sure even the expense of access can be used as an excuse for
denying this.  Dianne Parham, San Diego Public Library,
dzp at library.sannet.gov