E-mail in libraries

Burt, David DBurt at ci.oswego.or.us
Wed May 28 14:41:00 EDT 1997

Jim Hurd wrote:

>Communications and information are becoming increasingly
>inseparable. This is not "mission creep" but the way information exchange
>and dissemination has developed.

That's a very thought provoking suggestion, Jim. Could you elaborate
some more on what "Communications and information are becoming
increasingly inseparable" means, and give some specific examples, and
how they relate to libraries?

Also, you seem to be suggesting that it is OK for our  missions to
change de facto, in response to changing technology, without conscious
choice by librarians.  Do you really believe this?

          David Burt, Information Technology Librarian
          The Lake Oswego Public Library
          706 Fourth Street, Lake Oswego, OR 97034
          Phone:     (503) 675-2537
          Fax:           (503) 635-4171
          E-mail:      dburt at ci.oswego.or.us