e-mail in libraries

Steve Hooley! hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Wed May 28 12:39:58 EDT 1997

        Our University provides email accts to students so we accomodate
them, also providing Netscape mailer for non-students. Several students have
multiple email accts, using HotMail and its cousins as well as their private
accts. But anyone with a browser can access HotMail so it would be hard to
police, even if we were police. *sigh*
        My point, I guess, is that we allow access to academic sites and
frequently the users need to email the sites directly for info so it would
be a hardship to disable the mailers. We have some old 8088 and 286 machines
with telnet capability for email and some catalog or database access. When
someone hogs a station too long we make them move to the 'Chat Pit.'

|   Stephen S. Hooley         |  Statesboro Ga
|  Romulan Tech Assistant     |  Home of the
|    Henderson Library        |  Statesboro
|"It's Only a Job Description"|  Blues
| Georgia Southern University |