Spiders & META Tags

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed May 21 12:46:15 EDT 1997

http://calafia.com/webmasters/meta.htm includes:

"One other meta tag worth mentioning is the robots tag. This lets you
specific that a particular page should not be indexed by a search engine.
The format is like this:
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX">
Not all search engines support this tag. As an alternative, all the major
engines support the robots.txt convention of blocking indexing..."

[N.B. if you have access to your server or can get a favor from your
webmaster, I'd recommend you use the robots.txt file as described in the
Standard for Robot Exclusion.]

I'm not aware of any search engine the penalizes you simply for using META
tags in general.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu

 ----