Email headers (fwd)

Roy Tennant rtennant at library.berkeley.edu
Fri May 16 17:15:42 EDT 1997

Although this may at first glance seem like a reasonable and perhaps
useful change, in reality everything has its consequences. To implement
the change as you (and others in the past) suggest would mean much more
frequent posting of personal mail. This comes from users hitting "reply"
and not paying attention to whom they are sending their message.
Therefore we all become privy to what they *really* think about various
individuals, or what they are planning to have for dinner that night, or
whatever else they had intended to send only to an individual.
Subscribers can be found to argue both sides of the issue, and thus by
changing how Web4Lib works I am destined to displease everyone in turn.

So my stance on this is that unless I can be persuaded otherwise (and
I would prefer that the conversation occur with me directly than with the
entire list) things will remain the same. These days there are very
powerful email programs (Eudora for one) that can filter your mail into
various folders based on certain criteria (yes, Mildred, this is how one
implements a "bozo" filter). I realize that we are not all blessed with
such technology, but I think it is also possible to scan the messages and
detect those that require attention sooner than others (can you say "boss"?).

Again, those of you who take exception to this position are encouraged to
write to me directly rather than to the entire list.

On another note, I will be leaving late tonight for a week (to Cancun,
thanks for asking, and no, you cannot come). Dave Rez, my esteemed
colleague and old Web4Lib hand will step in to ride herd on bounced mail
in my absence. That means those of you who are begging to be manually
removed would do better to email drez at library.berkeley.edu if you wish to
be removed next week. As always, thanks for your understanding and
cooperation.
Roy Tennant
Web4Lib Dictator