Adobe Acrobat and Capture -Reply

Jeanne Tifft Jtifft at aamc.org
Fri May 16 12:53:14 EDT 1997

Bolded note is exactly the problem we were having when trying to scan the Deans
Memos...J/

On Thu, 15 May 1997, Dean C. Rowan wrote:
> I want to allow folks who view the Web site to make copies  > of the forms,
manually fill them out and mail or fax 'em back.  (That  > is, I do not want to
allow completion and delivery of the forms via  > the Web at this stage.)
>  > Are there alternatives to Acrobat?

If its just to be printed, you could go for an image file, a PostScript
document and/or and HPGL document.  In fact if you generate both of the latter
people can feed the appropriate document straight to their printers.

The big advantage of Capture over simply scanning into a TIFF/PS/HPGL file is
that the OCRed PDF file can be much, much smaller than the image version.
However note that we've found that Capture's OCR is pretty variable and so
you've got to be prepared to proof read the output and correct a couple of
mistakes per page on average (this is from photocopies; scanning from originals
may be better).

Tatty bye,

Jim'll

Jon "Jim'll" Knight, Researcher, Sysop and General Dogsbody, Dept. Computer
Studies, Loughborough University of Technology, Leics., ENGLAND.  LE11 3TU.
* I've found I now dream in Perl.  More worryingly, I enjoy those dreams. *