launching telnet with scripted pword from browser?

David Risner drisner at swlaw.edu
Thu May 15 12:54:57 EDT 1997

On Thu, 15 May 1997, David Vose wrote:

> On our unix platform, we would like to provide a link to the telnet
> version of FirstSearch from Netscape. Launching telnet alone is simple,
> but we use a login scripts that inserts the required account number and
> password.
>

> >From the archives, I've seen discussion here on how this can be done on
> Windows and Mac platforms, but not unix. Is there a way to call telnet
> so that the script is invoked? I believe one possible solution would be
> to telnet to a different port on our server that is programmed to
> automatically log the user in. There appear to be security concerns with
> this approach.

You might want to look into Expect.  I haven't used it, but I think that
you could have Netscape run an expect script which would run telnet,
login, and then let the user do his searching.

--
David G. Risner -- Network Systems Administrator
Southwestern University School of Law, Los Angeles, CA
Business: drisner at swlaw.edu Personal: dgrisner at netcom.com
Home Page: http://members.aol.com/dgrisner/Home.html