Netscape Questions

Glen Davies daviesg at lib.chchp.ac.nz
Wed May 14 20:03:02 EDT 1997

> 1. I'd highly prefer to have the Netscape program run full-size, by
> default, all the time. The perfect situation would have Netscape
> constantly at full-screen size, and any other programs that are invoked
> can be minimized but the icons would always be on top of Netscape. The
> potential problem is, if Netscape can be minimized (which it presently
> can) users who are unfamiliar with our new setup may have a hard time
> finding the menus they need to navigate our resources effectively.

The latest version of integrity kisok (ikiosk) can be used to disable
any  menu or button opition, so you could use this to disable the
minimise options within Netscape. I don't know of a way to keep
minimised icons on top in Win 3.1 though, the Win95 or NT 4 task bar
is what you need.

> 2. Is there a relatively easy way to force Netscape to return to the home
> page after a certain period of inactivity? I read about one way, I believe
> using a language called Flute, but I was hoping to find an easier way. The
> solution using Flute would cause Netscape to return to the homepage after
> the mouse had been inactive for however many minutes you chose.

I have tried the flute option but could not get it functioning
properly, probably due to my inability, I resorted to the following
line in the html header

The 600 represents seconds so = 10 minutes, after which time netscape
will return to http://home.com. It is not ideal as it works on a
straight time factor rather than activity and it will only work on
your own pages, ie. if a person leaves Netscape with an external
sites page loaded it will not timeout.
Glen Davies                        "I've been drunk for
Systems Support Librarian    a week now, and I
Learning Resource Centre    thought it might sober
Christchurch Polytechnic      me up to sit in a
daviesg at lib.chchp.ac.nz       library."
New Zealand                               F.Scott Fitzgerald
                                          The Great Gatsby, ch3.