Netscape Questions

David King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Wed May 14 20:03:36 EDT 1997

Hello,

Our reference department is planning to offer the public a web front-end
for electronic resources soon. Well use a set of HTML pages, viewed via
Netscape, to provide links to web resources and launch various databases.

There are a few things I'd *like* to do, but have been unable to find a
way to do them. So, Ive got a question or two for you all.

1. I'd highly prefer to have the Netscape program run full-size, by
default, all the time. The perfect situation would have Netscape
constantly at full-screen size, and any other programs that are invoked
can be minimized but the icons would always be on top of Netscape. The
potential problem is, if Netscape can be minimized (which it presently
can) users who are unfamiliar with our new setup may have a hard time
finding the menus they need to navigate our resources effectively.

2. Is there a relatively easy way to force Netscape to return to the home
page after a certain period of inactivity? I read about one way, I believe
using a language called Flute, but I was hoping to find an easier way. The
solution using Flute would cause Netscape to return to the homepage after
the mouse had been inactive for however many minutes you chose.

And, finally, we would really enjoy visiting a library that is already
using web browser software and HTML pages to provide a front-end to
electronic resources. Is there anyone out there utilizing such a setup
that is near Mississippi? (I'm at the University of Southern Mississippi,
which is not far from the Gulf Coast). We see some similar examples on the
net, but they arent the same as actually being on campus and having full
access to all of the resources. Or, if anyone has advice or warnings about
this type of setup Id be very happy to see those too!

Thanks,

Barton Spencer
Information Services Librarian
University of Southern Mississippi