Of mice and men

Steve Hooley! hooleyss at gsaix2.cc.GaSoU.EDU
Wed May 14 13:09:30 EDT 1997

   <RANT>     May I second this motion resoundingly? AVOID BUILT-IN
TRACKBALLS! They were designed by the devil and assembled in the ninth
circle of Hell by snickering demons. Every one still in use at the
University has a mouse plugged in beside it because the trackball doesn't
work, and they ALL QUIT A WEEK AFTER THE WARRANTY EXPIRED! </RANT>
        Plus, if you're going to use any drawing application such as
Paintbrush or PhotoPaint your lines are all wiggly. We've tried one touchpad
built-in and the first one had to be returned (because of key trouble) and
the second one works great - but probably not for drawing or editing
graphics. I'd be interested to hear from others with built-in trackball stories.
        We had to switch several staff to trackballs because mice were
giving them signs of carpal-tunnel syndrome. There's a small trackball
operated with thumb and finger that requires no arm motion and was a
life-safer to an employee in pain, plus working pretty good so far.
        That was at least $.05 worth...

|   Stephen S. Hooley         |  Statesboro Ga
|  Romulan Tech Assistant     |  Home of the
|    Henderson Library        |  Statesboro
|"It's Only a Job Description"|  Blues
| Georgia Southern University |